One Year
It’s been a year. One year. Monday, November 22nd I received a message and read my cancer diagnosis. I didn’t believe it. I had to call my doctor and it still took a few weeks for it to sink in. November 30th we met with Dr Tittensor and was given all the information- the port placement, the chemotherapy, the surgery, the radiation. It was so overwhelming. I know we left that appointment with Ryan feeling relieved and optimistic, while I sat in the car and cried thinking about all the things that were to come.
It was a rough year. The worst part was chemotherapy and how sick I was. I could do surgery again, or even maybe radiation but the chemo. That was horrible.
But even though it was a horrible year we were blessed in so many ways. My mom was able to come and help with each round of chemo. Ryan’s dad was also able to come help me. I could only stomach Rice Krispies for a little bit. He wasn’t sure how I liked it so he just brought everything up to my room and let me put the amount of milk and sugar that I liked. It was really sweet.
My siblings came to take care of me one weekend. It was so good to have them all there with me together. My sister sat with me while I watched Friends episode after Friends episode. She went to sodalicious daily to get me flavored water to get me to drink and stay hydrated. She pushed me to call my coworker to come start an IV and get me fluids. One of my sisters in law provided my kids with their Easter baskets. The Easter bunny wouldn’t have made it to my house otherwise. My sister and mom took my kids to California is for spring break. I could go on and on.
My friends and neighbors took my kids to and from soccer practices, piano and other activities.
We had meals brought in three times a week!!!! Three. Times. A. Week. People are so kind!! And it was so helpful for Ryan to not have to worry about feeding the kids after working and try to take care of me too.
One of my favorite things was that my kids would congregate in my room. We would gather in the evenings and watch a movie. One day I didn't see one of my kids all day. I told him, "When you get home from school, you have to come upstairs and say hi to me. I want to see you, but I can't get up."
These are just some thoughts that have crossed my mind over the past little bit and I wanted to share.
Comments
Post a Comment